Is the Pentagon plotting biowarfare on Iraq?
South News Commentary March 7

Is the Pentagon gearing up to launch a biowar against Iraq? Why is it rushing anthrax vaccines to its forces deployed in the Gulf.

In the United States, the media hacks at the New York Times have set the stage selling the anthrax story as another in their continuing series of bio warfare reports demonizing Iraq. But is the Pentagon considering using anthrax weapons itself? Is that why U.S. troops are being vaccinated? The US has a long track record of using biological weapons dating back to the 1950's.

Even after the US accepted cease-fire on the Korean peninsula, they disseminated large quantities of germ-laden insects and other poisonous objects over key cities in North Korea and the six Chinese provinces of Liaotung, Liaohsi, Sungkiang, Kirin, Heilungkiang and Jehol in first three months of 1952.

Accounts claim that there were releases of feathers infected with Anthrax, fleas and mosquitoes dosed with Plague and Yellow Fever, and rodents infected with a variety of diseases.

What is most noteworthy is that American troops  had inoculations against yellow fever, plague and cholera on their deployment. Yellow fever is a tropical disease of the American continent which has never occurred in the history of China and Korea. Plague, too, has never appeared in Korea prior to the agression.  The motive behind the inoculations against these diseases became transparent only later.

The US has also similar bio weapons on Vietnam while accusing it of using mycotoxins (fungal poisons) In Cuba CIA is thought to be behind instilling swine fever virus that leads to death of 500,000 pigs.

But already there are disturbing reports coming Iraq, on February 19 Guardian's Maggie O'Kane reported, “There is a new weapon in the Western powers' line-up against ...Saddam Hussein. It is not as hi-tech as the stealth bomber, it lacks the punch of the cruise missile and it can only be seen under a microscope. Travelling on the back of the female sand-fly, it strikes hardest in the spring.”

Sand-flies once again carry the leishmaniasis parasite -- the “black plague”. It attacks babies' bone marrow, where it eats the cells that make blood, then invades the liver and spleen. Dr Alia Sultan of the al-Quadisiya hospital told O'Kane that infected babies have “a 10% chance of living. Before the sanctions and with medicine, it would have been 90%.”

The black plague has suddenly returned, explains O'Kane and because of a “shortage of insecticides (banned under UN sanctions) and there is little that Iraq can do to stop the onslaught.

People worldwide must on guard against outrages and thinking members of the US military can play their part against such atrocities. Thirty years after the My Lai massacre, one of the most notorious events in the Vietnam War, the U.S. Army on Friday honored as heroes two former soldiers who risked their lives to halt the carnage.

American helicopter pilot Hugh Thompson and door gunner Lawrence Colburn were awarded the prestigious Soldier's Medal for placing themselves between the rampaging American troops and civilians in the South Vietnamese village March 16, 1968.

About 500 Vietnamese, many of them old people, women and children, were killed in the village by US soldiers high on drugs.